onsdag, november 23, 2011

Hand quilting with Aunt Becky's finger protector


A few years ago I learned to hand quilt in a new way. Before this I had always (since the mid-nineties) used the rocking motion to quilt. Then I stumbled across a video by Jean Brown. She showed how she quilts. I had to give it a try.
The bent metal plate is kept under the quilt, protecting your finger as you push the needle back up again. (The pic above shows the back of the quilt shown in the first pic) I suppose this method is related to spoon quilting, which I have yet to try. In the beginning, learning to quilt this way I felt like a beginner again. Some hours learning again had to be invested. I find it was worth it. Being able to quilt for a considerably longer time at a time, without pain and fingers with calluses, I find amazing. Also I like my stitches, and think they show better on the back of my quilts. Another great plus is that it is not exaggerated to say that the quilting is more time efficient. I love the process of quilting, and do not care if things take a long time, but quilting this way allows me to handle more UFOs.

Jean Brown's demonstration of the technique can be found here. I appreciate that we all have our own preferred methods. This is just one happy quilter's ramblings... And I do not know Jean Brown, but I am grateful to her for showing a great way of avoiding sore fingers when I get to do what gives me much pleasure.

17 kommentarer:

Unknown sa...

Beautiful quilt and gorgeous hand quilting!

Anonym sa...

Beautiful hand quilting!

liz sa...

Thanks for talking about your new technique. I think it is amazing that you were able to retrain yourself to use a different technique. I had to alter mine slightly when I started quilting with perle 8, but I don't think I could start again. Jean's technique is quite radically different.

Maureen sa...

Lovely quilt! This is the second time in the past couple days I've read about Aunt Becky. I may have to try it. I love to hand quilt but have to pace myself due to painful hands and arms. Thanks!

Janet sa...

Beautiful quilt and lovely hand quilting to. I like using the Aunt Becky's too from time to time.

Marit sa...

Thank you for sharing - this looks very interesting! I love hand quilting, but it takes time to find a technique that agrees with my hands and arms.
Your quilt is so beautiful, and the quilting is just divine...

Annemieke sa...

This sounds very interesting. I wonder if this can be bought in the quiltshops here in the Netherlands. Your quilting looks beatiful!
Groetjes
Annemieke

David sa...

Beautiful! I love your photos, your quilt and your hand quilting. It is a great technique!! How long did it take to master it ?

Dawn sa...

Beautiful!
I think it is harder to re-learn a technique.
Thank you for sharing ;-)

pratima sa...

Thank you, Una for the info on this new to me technique. Your hand quilting is very sweet and beautiful!

Daniëlle sa...

Yep we all have our own favourite tools! Love your block and those tiny stitches!!! Happy stitching, hugs, Daniëlle

sam sa...

That quilt is so beautiful! Lovely backing fabric too. And your hand quilting looks great! You've inspired me to get in to the sewing room now, such a pity I have to go to work in a few minutes :)

samsnotebook.typepad.com

Ulla's Quilt World sa...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
Yours, Ulla

Julia sa...

I have one of these, but just can't master it..your hand-quilting is lovely.

Minka sa...

I have yet to master handquilting...and I have some in my future so I'm eager to go watch the video. Thank you for posting this! Your work is beautiful.

Meredith sa...

Missing your lovely creations. Hope all is well.

Evelyne sa...

I love your quilt technique.
I'm a beginner and bought a Aunt Becky is there anything I know. I understand it's a difficult technique.
But I'm inn too learn, also if it takes years!
I'm a new follower off your blog.
Have a nice week, Evelyne